Today my toughest opponent was Alex my BJJ instructor. He is a purple and I am a blue belt. I am his senior student and have been with him for five years now. I believe if I am able to consistently escape his side control and mount I will begin to find ways to tap him more often.
Today I was tentative from the bottom of half guard (lockdown) to make moves to escape because I felt if I released he would slide back into mount or side control.
I should have just moved and anticipated his movements and continue to try other escapes. It's the same philosophy I came to once before about non-stop movement. I am going to begin applying this when escaping. Anyways, instead I relaxed the lockdown for a split second and he moved to side control at his timing, not mine.
Lesson learned: When attacking, think attack-attack-attack, when escaping, think, escape-escape-escape. Three in a row. Not just one escape or attack, but three.
I will use specific training with Alex from now on, I will let him sweep me, or pass my guard so I can practice escaping his pins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment